top of page
Admitted Student FAQ

​Prospective Student Questions

Where do I go to find out more information about a specific program?

Begin with the department’s listing under Graduate Programs. This will provide you with the best initial overview of the program, as well as information on program requirements and deadlines. From there, you can link directly to the department’s own website for more comprehensive information.

If I have other questions, whom do I need to contact?

For general questions, please contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.

For program-specific questions, please contact your program of interest directly.

For questions concerning the application process, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions by phone at (202) 687.5568 or by email at

Where do I go for information about law, medicine, business, or continuing studies programs?

The law center, medical school and business school all have separate admissions processes. Their respective offices can be contacted at:

Georgetown Univ Law Center

Georgetown Univ School of Medicine

Georgetown Univ McDonough School of Business

Georgetown Univ School of Continuing Studies

Can I take graduate classes as a non-degree student? I just want to take a class or two.

All non-degree classes are administered by the School of Continuing StudiesLearn more about non-degree status.

Where can I find out about the minimum GRE scores for my prospective department? What was the average GRE score from last year?

Many departments do not have a set minimum score. They are interested in the “whole student” and will compare a student’s other strengths against any testing weakness, and vice versa. However, some departments might give an average score or preferred range on their website. Consider contacting the department directly to inquire about GRE policies.

How many people were accepted to my department last year? How many from my country?

Admissions statistics for the various departments within the Graduate School vary from year to year. Please visit the specific program website or contact the appropriate program representative.

Do you offer pre-screening of candidates’ resumes, achievements and transcripts by email?

No, the admissions office does not offer any type of pre-screening. Check the program website or reach out to your program contact to find out information on statistics such as average GRE scores, GPA, years of work experience, etc. Many departments offer information sessions for prospective students where you can also find out this information.

Does the Graduate School offer tours or information sessions?

The Graduate School Admissions team offers virtual information sessions periodically. You can register for any Admissions Events as well as view our virtual tour here.

Is there campus housing available for Graduate Students?
Yes, as of Fall 2022, there is limited graduate student housing available at the 55 H Street, N.W. apartment residences.  Learn more about this exciting new graduate housing option.

What is graduate student life like at Georgetown?

To learn more about graduate student life at Georgetown, please visit the Student Life section of the website.

Back to TopApplicant Questions Anchor

Applicant Questions

Do all the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences programs use the same application form?

Yes, all of the Graduate School programs use the same application form. Some programs require additional information, a writing sample, etc. Check your program of interest for additional requirements.

Note that not all graduate programs are in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.  The Georgetown Law Center, the School of Medicine, the McDonough School of Business, and the School of Continuing Studies schools all offer graduate degrees but have separate application processes.

Can I apply to more than one program? How do I apply to a joint program?

You may apply to more than one program, but you must complete a separate application and pay a separate application fee for each program to which you apply. Similarly for dual degree programs, you must submit a separate application and pay a separate application fee for each program.

Please refer to the list of approved dual degree programs for specific dual degree offerings. Applicants who submit materials for dual graduate programs with the Medical School, Law School, or MBA program should complete the application process for both the Graduate School and the corresponding program from the Law Center, School of Medicine, or McDonough School of Business.

Using the online application, what do I do with my supplemental materials?

All supplemental materials must be submitted online, and test scores should be sent directly from the testing agency.

Do all of my application materials need to be received by the deadline?

Yes. Deadlines vary by department, and some programs offer multiple deadlines. Please review the program pages carefully to meet the specific deadline.

How do I know if my application materials have been received?

Once you have applied online, you will have access to an online checklist where you can view the status of materials. Please note that it may take up to 24 hours to reflect the receipt of materials.

What should I say in my Academic Statement of Purpose?

In general, your statement of purpose should be approximately 500 words and should state your goals and objectives for graduate study overall, and at Georgetown University specifically.  A few programs require more specific personal statements that address questions pertinent to the program.  Review the program admission requirements for more details.

The statement of purpose allows you to highlight areas of your background or interests that may not be clear in other areas of your application.  Therefore, it is very important to write a clear and concise statement that expresses your interest in the program, and what you hope to gain from, or bring to, the program of study.  You may address special features of the program that made it the right fit for you, or you may address specific topics that you are interested in studying.  You may wish to address aspects of your personal, academic, and work-related experiences that would make effective contributions to the program or would showcase your knowledge and interest in your chosen area of study.

Whom should I ask to write my recommendation letters?

A professor, advisor, supervisor, or someone with authority should write recommendation letters on an applicant’s academic and/or professional experience. Some programs also have specific requirements about recommendation providers.

My recommendation provider’s email has changed. How can this be updated?

Applicants can update their recommendation providers’ information through the application status portal. Once on the status page, navigate to the bottom of the application checklist. Here, you will find an option to re-visit the recommendation section of your submitted application. Select the recommendation provider and then submit the “Exclude” button. You will then need to re-add the recommendation provider using the new email address.

Can I submit my application before my recommenders submit their letters?

Yes, you do not have to wait for your recommendation letters to be uploaded, to submit your application. However, please note that recommendation letters should be submitted prior to the deadline like any other application material.

How do I report my official test scores?

To report your official test scores, you will need to have your scores sent directly by the test agency. We are unable to accept copies or unofficial score reports sent by applicants. 

GRE and TOEFL: You need to request that ETS (Educational Testing Services) send your GRE or TOEFL scores to Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (ETS Code: 5244).  You do not need to specify any departmental code. You may contact ETS at 1-800-473-2255 in regard to GRE scores and at 1-800-468-6335 regarding the TOEFL. From the time you request for your scores to be sent from ETS, it takes about a month for them to be received and then processed in the admissions office.  Please plan ahead!

IELTS: The IELTS is administered by Cambridge ESOL, British Council, and IDP:IELTS Australia.  Official score reports should be sent electronically by the testing center to Georgetown University Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.

GMAT: Some programs allow students to take the GMAT in lieu of the GRE. Please request that GMAT send your scores and use the following codes:

  • School of Nursing and Health Studies: JT7-VN-43

  • McCourt School of Public Policy: JT7-D8-97

  • All other programs: JT7-GJ-96

LSAT: LSAT scores taken in lieu of the GRE for relevant programs can only be sent to the Georgetown Law Center. You will need to complete the LSAT Release Form in order to have your scores shared with the Office of Graduate Admissions.

MCAT: MCAT scores can be reported the following ways: PDF AMCAS Report, Score Report with verification link, report scores through AMCAS.

Is the GRE required?

The GRE requirement varies by program. Please consult the program pages to see what your program requires. As the GRE is a program-specific requirement, please reach out to the program directly if you have any questions. 

Can I update materials in my application after it has been submitted (i.e. resume, statement of purpose)?

Please note that materials submitted with your application are considered final and cannot be amended once you have submitted your application. Prior to submission, changes can be made to your application. Once submitted, the application is considered final and will be reviewed as submitted. Please check your work carefully before submitting the application.

What is the process once the application has been sent to the Graduate School?

After initial processing in the Graduate Admissions Office, the application is available for the graduate department to review.

Once the department committee has reviewed the file, they will recommend a decision on the application to the Graduate Admissions Office, which will then conduct a final review of the application and make a final admissions decision.

Once a final decision has been made, applicants will be notified by email to login to their application to view their online decision letter.  Applicants will be able to print their official letter from this site and confirm their enrollment online.

Is an interview part of the admissions process?

The vast majority of applicants will not be interviewed prior to an admissions decision. Applicants will be contacted by the program directly, if they feel that an interview would be helpful.

Can I check on the status of my application while I’m waiting for a decision?

Yes. Once you have applied online, you can check the status of your materials by viewing the online status checklist within the online application.

The Admissions Office cannot give you specific information regarding the date of a decision, as the schedule for each departmental committee varies. The Admissions Office also cannot release admissions decisions over the phone.

When will I know the decision on my application?

While application review dates vary greatly by department, the best general indicator is the deadline for applications.  Most decisions are released within 6-10 weeks after the deadline, though some programs may release decisions sooner or later than this range.

The majority of the Graduate School’s decisions are sent out from mid-March to late May for applications with early January and February deadlines. For a more exact report time, you should contact your program directly.

Can Georgetown return my admissions documents to me or send them to another institution?

All materials (original, photocopied, or electronic documents) submitted in support of an application become property of Georgetown University’s application records. Documents cannot be released to the student or a third party except where law requires otherwise.

Back to TopTranscript Questions Anchor

Transcript Questions

What is a transcript and what should it include?

A transcript is an academic record from an institution that provides a listing of all courses taken by a student along with the grades received for each.

What is an acceptable transcript to upload to my application?

An acceptable transcript upload is a copy of an official transcript produced by the institution. (We consider these uploaded transcripts to be “unofficial” as they are submitted by the applicant). This includes:

  • Scanned copies of paper transcripts issued by the institution to the student

  • Electronic transcripts issued by the institution to the student (not a download from your institution’s web portal)

We do not accept screenshots or photos, and we do not accept downloads of the “student’s view” from your institution’s website.

See the samples below of what transcripts are acceptable vs. unacceptable for submission in the application:





Do I need to upload transcripts from every school I’ve attended?

Applicants are required to upload to the application copies of the following:

  • Transcripts from all undergraduate institutions (where 16 or more credits of coursework have been completed)

  • Transcripts containing program prerequisites coursework

  • Transcripts from all graduate institutions attended


My transcript won’t upload. What should I do?

We recommend saving the transcript as another file type (e.g. PDF, JPEG, etc.) and uploading. Attempt to refresh the webpage or logout and access using a different browser.

If you have exhausted all troubleshooting options and still have an issue uploading, please contact our office for additional support:

Office of Graduate Admissions


Phone: 202-687-5568

Do not have your institution send official transcripts before receiving an offer of admission.

I mailed my transcript to you. Do I need to upload a copy as well?

Please do NOT mail your transcripts to us. All transcripts must be uploaded to the application. The online application and supported documents submitted online will be immediately available to the admissions committee for their review.

The transcript I uploaded to the application indicates completion of my degree. If admitted, do I need to provide another transcript? 

If an offer of admission is made, we must receive a final official transcript directly from your institution. Transcripts must be sent electronically or by mail. Details for submission can be found on our Admitted Students page.

Back to TopSelf-Reported GPA Anchor

Self-Reported GPA

What do I need to include in the calculation of my GPA?

You will be required to self-report the grade point averages (GPA) for undergraduate coursework in the Academic History portion of the application. The GPA represents the combined GPA of all credits applied toward the primary undergraduate degree. Please note that if you attended an institution outside of the U.S. you should not calculate your GPA. Simply report your GPA as CBC (can not be calculated).

If you only attended one U.S. college or university and the GPA is already calculated on a 4.0 scale on that transcript, simply use that GPA. Otherwise, use the steps below to calculate your cumulative GPA.

If you have multiple undergraduate degrees, the most relevant degree GPA should be reported.

  • If you attended more than one school in the U.S., review the following criteria:

    • If you transferred 16 or more credits from one or more U.S. schools, grades from those schools should be combined to calculate the undergraduate GPA.

    • If the primary undergraduate institution accepted only some of the courses taken and specifies which courses were accepted, only the grades for courses transferred should be included in the calculation.

How do I calculate my GPA for self-reporting in the application?

  1. Download the GPA Calculation Form.

  2. Confirm your institution(s) grade scale.

    • GPA must be calculated based upon a 4.0 grade scale.

    • If your degree transcript and any other transcripts where 16 or more credits are earned are not based on a 4.0 grade scale, then you must recalculate grades using the calculation form.

  3. Confirm Semester Hours

    • If you have attended two schools and one school uses 1 unit as a semester hour and the other school uses 3 units as a semester hour, the first school’s values should be multiplied by 3 so that the grades are given equal weight.

  4. Confirm Academic Credit Hour System

    • Determine which grading scale matches your institutions.

    • If one of the schools is on the quarter system and the other is on the semester system, the credit hours are not equivalent and must be converted. To convert semester hours into quarter hours, multiply by 1.5. To convert quarter hours into semester hours, multiply by .667

    • GPA must be calculated to the hundredth decimal point (i.e. 3.15) rounding up or down as necessary.

  5.  Select the appropriate tab on the GPA Calculation Form and begin entering the credit hours as required.

  6. When completed, save the GPA Calculation Form and upload to the Self-Reported GPA section of the online application.

  7. Additional Notes:

    • An A+ should not be counted as 4.3 grade points, as Georgetown does not calculate as such.  An A+ should be counted as 4 grade points.

    • Failures should be calculated in the GPA.

    • Pass/Fail credit hours: Some institutions will include Pass/Fail credit hours in the total hours, even though they are not included in the GPA. As a consequence, you will enter the data in the spreadsheet and the resulting GPA will not match the GPA on the transcript.

    • You should always check to see if this is the case when entering data.

    • You can determine if P/F grade hours are included by checking the individual semester totals.

    • Adjust the total number of credit hours as appropriate, and double-check to make sure the GPA for that school is now calculating correctly.

  • Other Notes:

    • Failed courses that appear on your transcript but are not included in the institution’s calculation of the GPA should be included in your calculation.

    • If a course was repeated, both grades should be included in the calculation.

    • If you attended a U.S. school that does not calculate GPAs, or if the school does not issue standard letter grades, the GPA should be self-reported as CBC (can not be calculated).

  • The following should not be included in the calculation:

    • Study abroad credits

    • Pass/Fail grades

    • Withdraw or dropped coursework/grades

    • Graduate coursework should not be included in undergraduate GPA calculation unless counted towards undergraduate degree requirements.

    • 15 or fewer credits that were completed at another institution, even If those credits were applied to the degree.

Back to TopInternational Applicant Questions Anchor

International Applicant Questions

Do you accept international funds for the application fee?

No. The Office of Graduate Admissions does not accept international funds for the application fee. When you apply online, you will pay with a Visa or MasterCard credit card.

Are international students eligible for financial aid?

International students are eligible for internal institutional funds (such as assistantships, fellowships and scholarships) and for support drawn from federal and other research grants; however, international students are generally not eligible for federal loan money from the United States government

Internal Graduate School financial aid is merit-based and all applicants are eligible to compete for available funds. Merit-based scholarships are available to students registered in most doctoral and many master’s programs and these funding sources pay part or all of tuition. Assistantships and fellowships normally include a stipend and a full tuition scholarship.  To be considered for merit-based aid, simply answer “yes” to the financial aid question within the application. Please note that some programs have a priority deadline for scholarship consideration.

For further information and resources on available funding for international students, please visit the Financial Aid for International Students page.

How do I secure a student visa for study in the United States?

The Office of Global Services assists with the student visa process and supports you throughout your time in University-based immigration status. Soon after you confirm your enrollment, a link to activate your international student portal will be sent to your Georgetown email address. You will need to upload required documentation to the portal in order to request your Form I-20 (F1) or Form DS-2019 (J1). This process requires you to submit the same proof of funding documentation you will eventually use as part of your student visa application at the U.S. embassy or consulate.

I completed my bachelor’s from University where English was the primary language of instruction. Do I need to sit for the TOEFL or IELTS?

All applicants are required to demonstrate a level of proficiency in the English language sufficient to meet the admission requirement of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences. If you have received or will receive a bachelor’s degree or advanced degree from an accredited institution of higher education in the United States or where English is the primary language of instruction, you are not required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores. Please note that applicants receiving degrees at universities in U.S territories, such as Puerto Rico, are required to submit TOEFL or IELTS scores unless the primary language is English. If you have a letter from the registrar office stating that the primary language of instruction is English, please attach the letter to your transcript and upload it to your online application.

Additional information pertaining to the English proficiency requirements can be found on our Application Information page.

What is a transcript evaluation? Am I required to submit an evaluation for my foreign transcript?

For applicants who earned their bachelor’s degree outside of the United States, a transcript evaluation ensures that U.S. accreditation standards, degree, course, and credit equivalencies are met. Many programs at the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences require a transcript evaluation while others strongly encourage one. The transcript evaluation can be done by World Education Services (WES) or any credential evaluation services that are members of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES). 

What should I do if I have a visa already?

Students who will transfer their active F-1 or J-1 status to Georgetown from another school must complete this same request process, even if they do not need a new visa.

International students who already hold another status valid for full-time study have no OGS reporting requirements.

Do I need to provide proof of funding during the application process?

You do not need to provide a proof of funding during your application process. A proof of funding will be required at the time of requesting your I-20 or DS-2019.

Back to TopAdmitted Student Questions Anchor

Admitted Student Questions

How do I confirm my intent to enroll?

Please complete the online Enrollment Response Form found in your admission letter in the application portal. If you are required to submit a non-refundable deposit, you will be able to pay it online by credit card.  This payment is credited to your tuition.

Once I confirm my intended enrollment at Georgetown University, what do I do next?

We strongly suggest that you review our Admitted Students page. There you will find all the steps that need to be completed including the Admitted Student Checklist, Enrollment Checklist, and details about graduate student life.

Please visit your application portal to fulfill your admission conditions and check out the Enrollment Checklist to complete final administrative and health forms and participate in registration/advising.

I received a merit-based scholarship from my program, where can I find the award amount?

If you have been admitted to a program and the department has decided to offer you a fellowship, assistantship, or scholarship, the amount of your award will be included in your admission letter.

What is the process for applying for need-based aid?

Need-based aid is administered through the Office of Student Financial Services. The amount of aid awarded is based on the required financial forms and the estimated cost of attendance at Georgetown. The Office of Student Financial Services will notify you of your award shortly after all required forms have been completed.

How do I apply for a deferral and when will I be notified of a decision?

You can apply for a deferral using our online deferral request form.  Please note that not all departments allow deferral requests. You may wish to talk over your decision to defer admission with your department prior to completing the deferral request form.  Once we receive the form, we will contact your department for a decision on your deferral request. If the department approves your deferral, you will receive a confirmation from the Graduate Admissions Office.  Deferral processing normally takes 4-6 weeks.

Where can I start my search for housing?

Washington, D.C. can be a challenging place to find suitable housing, so start your search early! Visit our Graduate Housing page to learn about University housing for graduate students at 55 H Street or review off-campus housing options through the Office of Neighborhood Life.

What steps should I follow to complete my immunization form?

You may want to schedule a medical check-up with a doctor to ensure all your immunizations are up-to-date. Access the Immunization form and student health requirements.

Back to TopTransfer Credit Questions Anchor

Transfer Credit Questions

How do I apply to the Graduate School as a transfer student and what percent of my credits will transfer?

Transfer students must follow the same application process as all other applicants. It is possible to transfer up to 25 percent of the credits required for a Georgetown graduate program. However, the department and the Graduate School will make the final determination as to which credits are acceptable for transfer credit, including any Georgetown courses taken prior to admittance to the degree program.

Back to TopReapplication Questions Anchor

Reapplication Questions

I applied previously and would like to do so again. How do I reapply?

If you have previously applied to the Georgetown Graduate School of Arts & Sciences, you must submit a new application and new application materials. Materials from a prior application such as letters of recommendation, transcripts and statements of purpose will not be re-used.  However, official test scores that were previously sent to the Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and have not expired can be re-used.  (GRE and GMAT scores are valid for 5 years from the date of the test.  TOEFL and IELTS scores are valid for 2 years from the date of the test.)  If you have retaken any of these tests, be sure to request the testing agency to send official scores to Georgetown.

Back to Top

Non-Degree Student Questions Anchor

Non-Degree Student Questions

How do I take a class at Georgetown without being admitted to, and enrolled in, a degree program?

You can enroll in a credit-earning graduate class as a non-degree student through our School of Continuing Studies (SCS). You must fill out their application form and receive permission from the Department in which you are taking the class. To see which classes are available and to apply online, please visit the SCS Non-Degree Credit Courses website at

To see the schedule of classes, visit the University Registrar website at  Please note that due to United States immigration restrictions, international students are not likely to be granted a student visa as a non-degree student.

Back to TopUniversity Accreditation Anchor

University Accreditation

Where can I learn more about Georgetown’s accreditation?

Georgetown University is fully accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education. View information about Georgetown’s accreditation.

bottom of page